Friday, July 3, 2009

Willow Creek 'Tulum' Mornington Peninsula Chardonnay 2007


Now sometimes there is just the wine to talk about.

This bottle of Willow Creek ‘Tulum’ Chardonnay came my way when I hosted the crew from Willow Creek at The Point’s private cellar dining room when I was the sommelier there. The wine was a sample, so being polite I had a look with my staff, and you know what, we all liked it, except for Leanne who likes a woodier, fatter style of Chardonnay. Unfortunately, though, there were far too many Chardonnays on the list lying idle due to the epidemic of Savvy B’s.

The wine had a pale straw about it which tells me that there is plenty under the hood (essentially, this wine will age very well). The nose was bright grapefruit up front with stonefruit coming after a while. In the mouth there was that instant smack of grapefruit like on the nose, with long, long acid dominating the middle palate. The length just went on and on, and then, just when I thought it had finished, the little bit of flavour that I love in Chardonnay came along – liquorice powder.

There is great balance, great length and wonderful complexity about this wine. So, the next winelist I will be running (and it may not be too far away), be sure to look out for this gem.

Drink with prawn cutlets with chilli
Drink till 2014
16.5/20

No comments:

Post a Comment