Friday, October 23, 2009

Vinea Marson Heathcote Nebbiolo 2007


Nebbiolo – you had me at Hello!! I make no bones about it, I love Nebbiolo, and the Vinea Marson Heathcote Nebbiolo 2007 is super gorgeous; dare I say, Nebbiolo is bringing wine sexy back – I know, too far.

Just before I finished up at The Point restaurant in Albert Park this year, Mario Marson, winemaker and proprietor of Vinea Marson came in and showed me his wine; the Syrah – super, the Sangiovese – long and savoury, the Rosé – light and fresh, but it was the Nebbiolo for me that was the easy standout. My notes from May were all gorgeous savoury appeal backed up with spine tingling acid; this one is not much more different.

The colour of this wine is typical Nebbiolo with noticeable translucency and a dirty orange tinge to it. After about an hour in a decanter, the wine still has that prickly furry feel to it, with crushed raspberry and dried herbs coming through. As I said before, this wine is built around the acid structure and tightly built tannin feel. This wine will no doubt reward after a few more years tucked away.

Just a great wine with real Nebbiolo appeal! Super stuff this one.

Drink till 2020
Drink with lamb and rosemary sausages from Jonathan’s in Smith Street Collingwood
94

Diam cork 14%v/v $48 from Gertrude Street Enoteca

1 comment: