Saturday, April 24, 2010

Head Barossa Valley The Brunette Syrah 2008


Head, paper, kitchen – NOW!!!’ – Stuart Mackenzie played by Mike Myers in, 'So, I married an axe murderer'

This was the first thing to pop in to my mind when I came across this label at Europa Cellars in East Melbourne a month or so back.

Even though it is from the Barossa Valley, I was persuaded to give it a go by the wine store manager, Nick who I studied Viticulture with. He knew I sort of have an aversion to anything that comes from the Barossa, but he insisted that the Head Barossa Valley The Brunette Syrah 2008 was more than worth having a look at, and he was spot on.

No JABS here! Hailing from Moppa in the Barossa Valley, it is deep red in colour, with the nose throwing a whack of black olive tapenade with savoury licorice and dark fruit not far behind. More olive tapenade in the mouth with red licorice, firm tannins and a gorgeous amount of acid makes this wine very memorable indeed.

Made in minute amounts, this wine will sure reward with cellaring, but given it is this good, there is not much hope of that happening when I head back to Europa Cellars next week to pick me up some more.

Drink with Sichuan chilli beef - a monty of a Susan!
Drink till 2016
96
Screwcap 13.5%v/v $43 Europa Cellars East Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment